Saturday, November 22, 2008

How To Fix Audio Fade Out With Headphones In Ibex Ubuntu 8.10

I have a Dell Dimension E521, which I upgraded to Ibex Ubuntu 8.10. I was seeing some strange audio issues. Basically I would loose sound altogether, and sometime I could get it back by performing a:
sudo alsa force-reload
but sometimes that would not even get it, so a reboot was required.

Eventually I realized that plugging in headphones in to the front speaker jack would cause the sound to slowly fade out, and no amount of mixer twiddling would bring it back.

This thread showed me the fix (thanks Psyke83).

Just edit the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base file and insert this line at the end:
options snd-hda-intel model=dell-3stack

After a reboot, you should be good to go.

UPDATE:
Well this fixed my headphones causing a fade out. Audio still dies on me from time to time... I guess I will need to continue to work on that.

UPDATE #2:
Still fading on headset sometimes. Right now I'm not very happy with the Ibex "upgrade" the only real improvement I've seen is the side scrolling mouse wheel...

UPDATE #3:
There is a bug report here.

No comments: