Tuesday, October 28, 2008

OMFG - New Ubuntu Out In Two Days!!!

Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepit Ibex) is coming out in just 2 days. CAN YOU FEEL THE EXCITEMENT?

Wait...

What?


A new release of Ubuntu normally has me very excited. But this time around I'm just not feeling it. Maybe it is the upcoming election distracting me. Maybe the New Xbox Experience which is about to go live that has my geek attention. Or perhaps the lack of compelling new features is the reason I'm not jazzed. Whatever the reson is, I guess I'm not the only one. While there are some interesting new features, there is nothing in the new release has that "Wow!" factor for me.

I guess that shows how far Ubuntu has come. It pretty much does everything I want and need it to do already. Of course it would be nice if some of those windows only apps (like Netflix watch instantly) worked on Linux, but that is not a Linux issue, that is Netflix issue.

In terms of running the computer and being a platform for the apps I need? It is already there. Now, if you are having hardware support issues, this might be a highly anticiapted release for you. But I have not had any of those issues, so I'm not on the edge of my seat waiting for this release. So while I will be upgrading, unlike on previous releases, I won't be doing it the first chance I get. I can wait a couple of days until the mirrors aren't swamped.

No comments: