Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Firefox 3.0 rc3 - Inconsistent?

Today I ran updates on my Ubuntu, and noticed that I got a Firefox update. This got me thinking, since I've really had no issues with the beta, I should run it on my work windows machine. I downloaded and installed Firefox 3.0rc3. it looks fine, but check out the interface:
Compare that to what the current linux version:
Which continues to use the same icons as previous versions - or at least similar ones.
It looks to me as if they want to look more like IE's curvey buttons on Windows:
I guess this is the way they want to do it now - make it more localized for each OS.

I have to say, even though the new Windows Firefox buttons are nice, I would prefer it if they looked like the old style. Or at least be consistent across platforms. That is one thing I have loved up to this point - the various platform implementations of Firefox have looked the same.


Doing some research, it appears that in linux, your firefox will now use whatever theme you have loaded, and can download others if you like.

I'm hoping in the full release they will give you the option to choose your button icons from within Firefox options via included theme packs. I like consistency, and I would like to set all my various installations of firefox to look the same. I don't want to have to go hunt down some theme to get it each time I install Ubuntu somewhere - which is often.

No comments: