Thursday, November 01, 2007

Ubuntu Gutsy Blank Java Apps

Since moving to Gutsy, I've been seeing this issue where java apps loaded from Firefox are coming up as blank screens, or with weird effects.

I am running the compiz-fusion desktop effects, but I had this issue even if they were disabled. I think it probably has to do with the XGL I'm running (to solve another issue)

I checked to make sure that I was running the sun java implementation, which I am. so I was getting stumped, but I found a post (somewhere - I lost the link sorry) which suggested removing the gcjwebplugin. This plugin is "a little web browser plugin to execute Java applets". I suspect that it was calling the GCJ (opensource java) instead of the Sun Java i had installed. Simply removing that via synaptic did the trick for me.

No comments: