Monday, May 21, 2007

Ubuntu challenge

Take the Pepsi challenge - those of us old enough to remember that will understand what I'm trying to do here

I'm so enamored with the new Ubuntustudio release (and un-enamored with Windows Vista) that I'm going to decide if Linux is ready for prime-time. I'm going to figure out if Linux really is ready for MY desktop, and if I can get my work / play done without Windows.

I know that some things are going to hurt (no Gametap for example) but this has been coming for quite some time. While I'm not a Microsoft hater, I do feel as though I'm not getting as much out of it as I used to. Plus many of the programs I have always used -like Nero- now need to be upgraded for Vista, so now is a good time to try something new.

I'm not really new to Linux, as I've used Debian servers for years, and my home network is served by a SME server, but there is a big difference between a server and a desktop. Up til now every few months I've worked up some Linux system, just to see where the state of the art was, but up to this point I've never really seen enough benefit to spending any real time with a desktop distro. I tweak my desktop system a lot. Adding and removing things I'm trying out, both software and hardware, and Linux has always appeared (to me at least) to not be very tolerant of that type of thing. For all its many faults, windows has worked well for those things, assuming you don't mind an occasional rebuild.

But, as I've said before Ubuntustudio has a ton of things I like in it, plus it looks really polished, so here goes...

Yesterday I set my main machine to dual boot Vista and Ubuntu studio. I'll post more on the installation, and the various things I've done along the way here later.

But here is the challenge:

NO Windows for a month. Now obviously I need to work with Windows at work, so that does not count. But for my home system, no Windows for one month, with the caveat that if I NEED to do something and it CAN NOT BE DONE with Ubuntu, I can use reboot into Vista to do it.

We'll see how it goes.

No comments: