Monday, September 19, 2016

the Perfect Ubuntu 16.04 LTS desktop

So you've just installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS desktop (64bit of course)  what next?

well, of course you are going to install chrome, dropbox, geany, lastpass plugins,  and probably some other apps, but to make the system really sing I have some things I always do.

Here you go:

1:  Gnome-Shell.  This is how I roll.  Why not just use the offical gnome ubuntu distro?  SHUT UP - that's why!  load a terminal:

     sudo apt-get install ubuntu-gnome-desktop

be sure to pick GDM3 (as opposed to lightDM) when prompted

2:  modify nautilus to show folders before files when browsing:

     launch dconf editor
     browse to org > gnome > preferences  
     check the "sort-directories-first" option

3:  Install MS TTF fonts.  Yes I still do this, I just think the look better. load a terminal
     sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer
Note:  I've seen this fail on numerous occasions.  It appears that the download location of the fonts has been less than reliable.  So these may not be around forever

4:  I also prefer to use the topicons extension, which moves icons for things like dropbox to the top bar. https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/495/topicons/
Note: This appears to work better in firefox over chrome.

5: Install VLC
     sudo apt-get install vlc
if you have a system that has a DVD drive, you can add restricted DVD support by following these instructions.

I always load the time and date settings, and date show, setting the format to am/pm.
I also make some standard changes using gnome tweak tool.  I'll detail those later.
     


No comments: