Tuesday, April 07, 2009

New Features in Jaunty Jackalope Ubuntu 9.04

We are about two weeks away from the release of Jaunty Jackalope Ubuntu 9.04. Is it worth upgrading?

Here is a list of the new features in this release.

It looks to me like the key things this release will give are improved multi-screen handling, and better ati video card support.

The new version of gnome includes brasero, which of course is already easily available from the repos - so I can't get too excited over that.

Ext4, cloud computing, and boot speed improvements may all be nice, but I will have to wait and see if they really work/happen/improve anything before I pass judgment.

It really isn't a question for me if I will move to Jackalope. I always end up moving to the newest version. However, I've only done upgrades for the past 3 releases. I'm thinking of doing a wipe/fresh install this time. I will need to consider that for bit.

No comments: