Monday, February 25, 2008

Linux Mint - The New Hotness

I've been hearing about Linux Mint for a while now, even before switched to Linux full time. I'm always skeptical of flashy Linux distros, mainly because I care more about stability, and the feeling that it will be around a while.

This last weekend I loaded Linux Mint on a laptop, I honestly can't remember why - I just wanted to try something different.

I have to say that I'm very impressed. The interface is nice and clean, and is a perfect gateway for a windows convert.

The real sell here (for me at least) is that all the big multimedia components come preloaded. Most new Linux users who load Ubuntu are probably disappointed to find that they can't play DVDs or many other multimedia formats out of the box. Moreover, those codecs can be a pain to get loaded. Linux Mint includes DVD, MP3, WMV, Flash, and many other restricted formats.

And since it is based on Ubuntu, you can use the Ubuntu repositories to load all the apps you have been using on Ubuntu via synaptic.

Good Stuff.


No comments: